Assistant Professor in the History of Philosophy (0.8 FTE)
The position is in the Department of the History of Philosophy and includes research (40%) as well as teaching and administrative tasks (60%). The position will become permanent after a period of 2 years conditional on a positive performance review, and there is a promotion policy in place to facilitate promotion up to the level of associate professor. Ideally the candidate’s research complements and strengthens the existing research profile of the Department, and contributes to the lively intellectual life of the faculty as a whole.
The candidate will be expected to teach in the philosophy programme on both BA and MA levels, including courses on the history of science in the master’s programmes. It is important that the candidate develops and teaches courses that will appeal to a broad range of philosophy students, as well as to students from a variety of other academic backgrounds.
• experience and proven success in teaching in the relevant areas
• a strong publication record, appropriate to career stage
• concrete plans for a future grant proposal (ERC or NWO)
• an excellent command of English, both in writing and in speaking; knowledge of Dutch is expected after three years (European standard B2); teaching in Dutch is expected after 5 years (C1).
• intellectual drive, enthusiasm and open-mindedness
• international network or record of international collaboration
• a willingness to take up residence in or near the city of Groningen is preferable (staff members are expected to be present at the faculty at least 3 days a week)
• the University of Groningen requires teaching staff to attain the University Teaching Qualification; a successful applicant lacking this qualification (or equivalent) is expected to obtain it within two years, by attending courses at the University.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: 12 months.
The University of Groningen offers a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,746 (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities) to a maximum of € 5,826 gross (scale 12) for a full-time position, excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% year-end bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. A fiscal facility pertaining to extraterritorial costs (the 30% facility) may be applicable if the rules of Dutch tax law permit this.
Starting date: August 2021.
Faculty of Philosophy
Since its foundation in 1614, the University of Groningen has enjoyed an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative centre of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Balanced study and career paths in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers to develop their own individual talents. Belonging to the best research universities in Europe and joining forces with prestigious partner universities and networks, the University of Groningen is truly an international place of knowledge.
The Faculty of Philosophy at the University of Groningen is a vibrant, international community of excellent researchers and teachers. It consistently receives the highest evaluations both for research and for teaching among philosophy departments in The Netherlands. The Faculty has three departments: History of Philosophy, Theoretical Philosophy, and Ethics, Social and Political Philosophy.