Assistant Professor of North American History and Politics
As Assistant Professor of American History and Politics, your primary tasks will be teaching, developing new courses, and research. You will teach general and specialised courses at both the Bachelor’s and Master’s levels for students following the North American Studies programme. In your teaching, the emphasis will be on courses in American politics presented from a historical perspective, particularly issues related to the fields of diplomacy, global race relations and international relations. You will supervise undergraduate and graduate students doing internships or writing their theses. As a member of our American Studies programme, you will contribute your research experience in international and Dutch archives, as evidenced by international publications, conferences, networks and grant proposals. More specifically, you may make a valuable contribution to the HLCS research institute and its commitment to addressing “the changing world of which Europe forms a part” in terms of North America’s impact on and place in that world, with particular attention to political and historical approaches to this question.
As a candidate for this position you:
- have a doctoral degree in American history and affinity with North American Studies;
- have obtained a University Teaching Qualification (BKO), or are prepared to take courses in order to obtain this qualification in a relatively short time;
- have a series of relevant publications in leading international publication outlets to your name;
- are able to supervise BA and MA theses effectively;
- are an inspiring and demanding teacher, with ample teaching experience at all university levels;
- have an interest and experience in administrative tasks and management;
- have a native or near-native command of English;
- should be able to acquire externally funded research projects;
- have an interest in and experience with the organisation of conferences.
Conditions of employment
- Temporary appointment for 3 years
- You will be classified as an Assistant Professor (Universitair docent) in the Dutch university job-ranking system
- Depending on qualifications and experience, the salary will be between €3,475 and €5,405 gross per month (salary scale 11 or 12) based on full-time employment
- The intended start date is 1 September 2018.
Strategically located in Europe, Radboud University is one of the leading academic communities in the Netherlands. A place with a personal touch, where top-flight education and research take place on a beautiful green campus in modern buildings with state-of-art facilities.http://www.ru.nl
Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts consists of ten departments in the areas of language and culture, history, history of arts, linguistics and communication and information studies, which together cater for about 2,400 students and collaborate closely in teaching and research.
Research at the Faculty of Arts is embedded in two research institutes: the Institute for Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies (HLCS) and the Centre for Language Studies (CLS).
Prof.dr. F.Mehring, Professor
+ 31 24 3615517
Dr. M. Roza, Associate Professor
+31 24 3655956