Assistant Professor (Tenure Track) in Economic and Environmental History – Wageningen University & Research
The Economic and Environmental History Group (RHI) at Wageningen University and Research is looking for an ambitious new colleague who is as passionate about research and teaching in the domains of global economic and environmental history as we are. As an Assistant Professor you will have the opportunity to develop your own research line while also participating in larger research and teaching programmes of our chairgroup and section. You will be responsible for lecturing in BSc and MSc courses designed for students in social and natural sciences as well as co supervising PhD-students. Furthermore, you will be expected to actively contribute to the acquisition of research grants and projects,as well as to the management and coordination of research and teaching activities.
We offer you a challenging career trajectory with the Academic Career Path framework of Wageningen University. This ACP framework offers regular possibilities of promotion upon external and internal evaluation of your portfolio. This means that you can grow from Assistant Professor into a Full Professor holding a Personal Chair. Training and coaching are provided and interdisciplinary (international) cooperation is stimulated. You will also be encouraged and given the opportunity to develop your own research line. We give you the space you need.
Tenure Track is a career path for scientists who pursue to excel in education and research. We seek to attract scientific talent and to stimulate and support their development.
We highly encourage applications from women for this position.
- hold a PhD in history or a related social science discipline;
- have a proven track-record of publishing in internationally refereed scientific journals in the fields of economic, social and/or environmental history;
- have strong didactic and presentation skills and enthusiasm for teaching and working with (international) students in a broad range of programmes;
- have experience with BSc and MSc thesis and PhD-project supervision;
- hold a University Teaching Qualification (Basis Kwalificatie Onderwijs) or is prepared to obtain one;
- have proven international academic experience and scientific networks;
- have a proven ability to acquire externally financed projects;
- have good organisational skills;
- proficiency in Dutch or willing to become so within the first two years of employment;
- Excellent English communication and writing skills (a minimum of CEFR C2 level). For more information about this proficiency level, please visit our special language page.
Conditions of Employment
Wageningen University & Research offers excellent terms of employment. A few highlights from our Collective Labour Agreement include:
- study leave, and partially paid parental leave;
- working hours that can be discussed and arranged so that they allow for the best possible work-life balance;
- the option to accrue additional compensation / holiday hours by working more, up to 40 hours per week;
- there is a strong focus on vitality and you can make use of the sports facilities available on campus for a small fee;
- a fixed December bonus of 8.3%;
- excellent pension scheme.
In addition to these first-rate employee benefits, you will be offered a fixed-term, 7 year contract which, upon positive evaluation based on criteria elaborated in the University’s Tenure Track policy, can lead to a permanent employment contract as professor. Depending on your experience, we offer a competitive gross salary of between € 3.974 and € 5.439 for a full-time working week of 38 hours in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreements for Dutch Universities (CAO-NU) (scale 11). Initially, we offer you a temporary contract for 1,0 FTE, for 18 months, with a possibility of extension to a permanent position upon positive evaluation
Wageningen University & Research encourages internal advancement opportunities and mobility with an internal recruitment policy. There are plenty of options for personal initiative in a learning environment, and we provide excellent training opportunities. We are offering a unique position in an international environment with a pleasant and open working atmosphere.
You are going to work at the greenest and most innovative campus in Holland, and at a university that has been chosen as the “Best University” in the Netherlands for the 18th consecutive time.
Coming from abroad
Our team of advisors on Dutch immigration procedures will help you with the visa application procedures for yourself and, if applicable, for your family.
Feeling welcome also has everything to do with being well informed. Wageningen University & Research’s International Community page contains practical information about what we can do to support international employees and students coming to Wageningen. Furthermore, we can assist you with any additional advice and information about helping your partner to find a job, housing, schooling. For instance under the “30% rule”, certain categories of international staff can receive tax exemption on approximately 30% of their gross salary.
Wageningen University & Research
The mission of Wageningen University & Research is “To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life”. Under the banner Wageningen University & Research, Wageningen University and the specialised research institutes of the Wageningen Research Foundation have joined forces in contributing to finding solutions to important questions in the domain of healthy food and living environment. With its roughly 30 branches, 7,200 employees (6,400 fte) and 13,200 students and over 150.000 participants to WUR’s Life Long Learning, Wageningen University & Research is one of the leading organisations in its domain. The unique Wageningen approach lies in its integrated approach to issues and the collaboration between different disciplines.
Click here for more information about the organisation.
The RHI Group
We will recruit for the vacancy ourselves, so no employment agencies please. However, sharing in your network is appreciated.
For more information about the procedure, please contact Noorien Abbas, Corporate Recruiter, by email: email@example.com
Do you want to apply?
This vacancy will be listed up to and including 21 August 2023. We hope to schedule the first job interviews soon after the closing date.