Assistant Professor (UD) in Ancient History (1.0 FTE)
The chair group is an active participant within OIKOS, the National Research School in Classical Studies in The Netherlands, and in the Anchoring Innovation Research agenda (http://www.anchoringinnovation.nl).
● at least 1 year of postdoctoral experience in a teaching and/or research position
● international experience will be considered an advantage
● Pproven skills in interdisciplinary research and affinity with interdisciplinary teaching and research
● an active and innovative research agenda as evident from a research and funding plan for the next two to five years
● an excellent publication record for the stage of your career including at least one monograph (or under review) and a number of peer reviewed articles
● experience in teaching at University level and demonstrable didactic abilities, with a broad teaching portfolio
● a University Teaching Qualification or willingness to fulfil the requirements thereof
● enthusiasm for outreach activities and communicating academic research to non-academic audiences
● strong cooperative attitude and willingness to engage in collaborative research and teaching duties within the department and over departmental boundaries
● a capacity and willingness to undertake organizational duties
● fluency in English (C1 level of the CEFR) and Dutch (or willingness to learn the Dutch language within two years to at least C1 level of the CEFR – for reading and listening).
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Fixed-term contract: 12-18 months.
We offer you in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities:
● a salary, depending on qualifications and work experience, with a minimum of € 3,821 (salary scale 11) to a maximum of € 5,943 (salary scale 12) gross per month for a full-time position
● a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
● an 8.3% end-of-the-year allowance
● participation in a pension scheme for employees
● 232 holiday hours per calendar year.
The position entails a contract combining 60% teaching tasks with 40% research-time. Favourable tax agreements may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
The faculty will facilitate you with obtaining the requested qualifications for teaching and the Dutch language within two years. Having started to learn Dutch is a criterion for a permanent position.
The base for this position is a temporary contract for 12 or 18 months with a view on a permanent contract. The concrete content and duration of the temporary employment contract (12 or 18 months) depend on the candidate’s previous employment history.
The conditions of employment comply with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU). For more detailed information about working conditions and working for the University of Groningen, please check: https://www.rug.nl/about-ug/work-with-us/new-staff/
Starting date: The appointment will start as soon as possible, but at the latest at 1 August 2022
Founded in 1614, the University of Groningen enjoys an international reputation as a dynamic and innovative institution of higher education offering high-quality teaching and research. Flexible study programmes and academic career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines encourage the 36,000 students and researchers alike to develop their own individual talents. As one of the best research universities in Europe, the University of Groningen has joined forces with other top universities and networks worldwide to become a truly global centre of knowledge.
The Faculty of Arts
The Faculty of Arts is built on a long-standing tradition of four centuries. Our mission is to be a top-ranking faculty with both an excellent education and world-quality research, with a strong international orientation, firmly rooted in the North of The Netherlands. We build and share knowledge benefits to society. We work at a modern, broad and international institution, educating over 5,000 Dutch and international students to become forward-looking, articulate and independent academics. We are a team of hardworking and diverse groups of 700 staff members.
Prof. O.M. van Nijf: email@example.com