Assistant Professorship in Economic History (1.0 FTE)
Duties of the Assistant Professor position will include teaching and supervision responsibilities within the department and undertaking independent research within the field of economic history.
Candidates have excellent teaching skills to contribute to the courses in the BSc and MSc programmes offered by the department, in particular Economic History, Business History, and History of Economic Thought, and including the supervision of bachelor’s and master’s theses. Candidates have the ability to conduct original research and to publish in high-ranked international journals. He/she has a track record of high-quality academic research and is internationally recognized. Time for research will be allocated according to standardized faculty procedures.
• A PhD in Economic History or a relevant field of Economics
• proven interest and ability in developing courses and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level and in mentoring students
• a Basic Teaching Qualification or willingness to obtain this qualification
• expertise in the above mentioned fields demonstrated by the ability (or the potential) to publish in international academic peer-reviewed journals
• an international network
• proficiency in English
• organizational qualities and excellent social and communication skills
• the potential to generate external funding for research projects.
Conditions of employment
The University of Groningen offers a salary depending on qualifications and work experience starting from a minimum of € 3,637 gross per month to a maximum of € 4,978 gross per month (salary scale 11 Dutch Universities) for a full-time position, excluding 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus and participation in a pension scheme for employees. Favourable tax treatment may apply to non-Dutch applicants.
The appointment will be for a period of four years. The percentage of research time depends on expertise and qualities of the candidate, with a maximum of 40%.
We expect candidates to start by August or September 2019.
You may apply for this position until 31 March 11.59pm / before 1 April 2019 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website).
You are requested to submit:
1. A motivation letter
2. A complete curriculum vitae
3. Three letters of recommendation
4. One self-selected “best paper”
5. A short statement of your teaching and research accomplishments and future teaching and research goals.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
Faculty of Economics and Business
The University of Groningen, Faculty of Economics and Business, is seeking to appoint a full-time Assistant Professor of Economic History within the Department of Economics, Econometrics and Finance from September 2019 onwards.
The Assistant Professor will work with the Economic History group, whose main interests lie with long-term development and its determinants. Research of the group contributes to the Groningen Growth and Development Centre, a research centre of the Faculty of Economics and Business. The Department of Economics, Econometrics & Finance is responsible for teaching in several bachelor, master and doctoral programmes in Economics, Business Economics, Finance and Econometrics. The department is an active and international research community, performing to the highest international levels in research and publications. Central research themes are among others (applied) econometrics, finance, banking, health, ageing and pensions, microfinance, behavioural and experimental economics, economic history and industrial organisation.
firstname.lastname@example.orgProf. Herman de Jong, Chair of Economic History