Call for Papers: Mapping Asia – Cartographic Encounters between East & West (Deadline 15 February 2017)
– 7th International Symposium on the History of Cartography –
Please submit your paper with this submission form: Call for papers submission form. Deadline for the call for papers is 15 February 2017.
The central theme of the symposium is the mutual influence of Western and Asian cartographic traditions. The focus will be on where Western and Asian cartographic history meet. Geographically, the topics will be limited to South Asia, East Asia and Southeast Asia with special attention to India, China, Japan, Korea and Indonesia.
Topics and questions which will be discussed are:
• What defines Asia? The arbitrary borders between Europe and Asia on the map
• Asian cartographic traditions
• Asian toponomy and cartography
• Cartography and intercultural contact
• Missionary and colonial cartographies of Asia
• Asian cartography in the collections of Leiden University Libraries
• Philipp Franz von Siebold and the cartography of Japan
• and all papers of merit
Abstracts of up to 2500 characters, describing original research may be submitted for international peer review. Abstracts should be written in English. A selection of high-quality submissions will be accepted for presentation at the conference and included in a booklet of abstracts, handed out during the event. Possibly a poster session will be organised.
Papers should be presented only in English.