Call for Proposals for Papers: The Seventh International Conference on the History of Records and Archives I-CHORA 7
Following previously successful I-CHORA conferences in Toronto (2003), Amsterdam (2005), Boston (2007), Perth (2008), London (2010) and Austin (2012), the University of Amsterdam, Media and Information Program is pleased to announce the forthcoming seventh International Conference on the History of Records and Archives to be held in Amsterdam from July 29-31, 2015.
The theme of the conference is: Engaging with Archives and Records: Histories and Theories. We invite proposals for papers that explore different ways of historicizing and theorizing recordmaking, recordkeeping, and archiving practices from a range of disciplinary perspectives and through the eyes of creators, custodians, and users. Topics might include, but are not limited to:
- hidden (and not so hidden) histories of particular recordmaking and recordkeeping cultures and communities
- the making/unmaking/remaking of records in times of conflict and war
- silences in the records
- communities and diasporas of records
- histories of archival concepts, functions, and methods through time and across disciplines
- user perspectives on the archive through time and across disciplines
- theorizing the history of archives in the wake of the archival turn
- historicizing and theorizing the archive and archives in the digital world
Proposals for papers should be made in the form of abstracts of 450-500 words and should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, February 6, 2015. We will advise acceptance by early March 2015.
Following the conference, presenters will be invited to submit their contributions for a peer-reviewed, post-conference publication on the theme of the conference.