Colloquium on Philology and the history of science, religion and modernity13 nov 2017
Van 15:15 - 17:30uur
Sweelinckzaal (room 0.05, Drift 21, Utrecht
Descartes – Huygens Premodern History of Knowledge Colloquium
Book Launch Event: for Scriptural Authority & Biblical Criticism in the Dutch Golden Age. God’s Word Questioned, edited by dr Dirk van Miert, prof. Henk Nellen, prof. Piet Steenbakkers and dr Jetze Touber (Oxford: OUP, 2017).
Henk Nellen (Huygens ING) and Piet Steenbakkers discuss how philology rose as a science that had a complicated relation with theology, as exemplified in the contributions to the OUP-volume on Scriptural Authority and Biblical Criticism in the Dutch Golden Age, published on 20 October 2017. You can read the editors’ ‘Introduction’ (and much more) here. The discussion of the role of philology in the rise of modernity will be framed and complemented by a deeper historical perspective through the responses of Irene O’Daly (Huygens ING), who will pitch her research about biblical scholarship in the 12th century, and by Annet den Haan (Aarhus University), who will address humanist biblical philology in the 15th century. Jetze Touber (Ghent University) will wrap up the discussion by a reflection on the role of early modern biblical scholarship in a variety of disciplinary contexts.
- 15:15-15:30: News from the field (conferences, lectures, new books), including a brief overview of a dozen recently appeared books on biblical philology (Dirk van Miert)
- 15:30-15:50: Piet Steenbakkers & Henk Nellen: Introducing Scriptural Authority & Biblical Criticism in the Dutch Golden Age. God’s Word Questioned: philology, science, religion and modernity.
- 15:50-16:10: Discussion and responses
- 16:10-16:20: Irene O’Daly (Huygens ING) pitches her research about the nature of biblical scholarship in the twelfth century’
- 16:20-16:30: Annet den Haan (Aarhus University) addresses humanist biblical philology in the fifteenth century
- 16:30-16:50: Discussion
- 16:50-17:00: Jetze Touber (Ghent University): final reflections
- 17:00-17:30: Drinks
More information: Scriptural Authority & Biblical Criticism in the Dutch Golden Age. God’s Word Questioned