Head Archivist at the Expatriate Archive Centre, The Hague
The Expatriate Archive Centre (EAC) is an independent, non-profit foundation based in The Hague. It collects and preserves the life stories of expatriates worldwide for research.
The team includes a Director, an Archivist, an Assistant Archivist, a PR manager and an Office Manager. The EAC is supported by an enthusiastic team of volunteers and interns of different backgrounds, nationalities, and ages.
The EAC prides itself on offering a welcoming environment. It runs a range of programmes designed to help volunteers to develop their skills and competencies.
The Archivist reports to the Director of the EAC, who reports to the EAC Board members.
The working language at the EAC is English.
- Manages the existing archive collection following archival standards and best practices, GDPR and other legal standards;
- Manages and continuously improves the existing collection management systems in line with evolving needs; this includes e.g. definition of requirements for system configurations, implementation of changes together with IT-service provider;
- Manages the growing digital and web archive collection following archival and technical requirements;
- Keeps up to date existing policies, guidelines, procedures and archival workflows. When needed, develops new documents;
- Manages and processes research requests;
- Assists in attracting new material donors;
- Supports projects to enhance and enrich the EAC, for example, workshops, information mornings and special projects;
- Keeps up with developments in archiving standards and best practices, for example, through training or workshops;
- Supervises the Assistant Archivist;
- Works closely as a team with paid staff, interns and volunteers;
- Supervises and trains interns and volunteers and provides them with the necessary written and oral guidance.
Qualifications and skill requirements for an ideal candidate:
- Minimum three years work experience in the area of archiving;
- Experience in digital and web archiving, including long-term digital preservation;
- Experience in functional management of collection management systems such as Adlib, Axiell Collections, AtoM, Archive-It. Experience with data migration is a plus;
- Experience in further developing and improving a governance framework for records and archive management in the context of applicable legislation;
- Problem-solving skills and project management ability;
- Experience in coordinating, training and supervising staff, volunteers and interns;
- Fluency in English. Proficient knowledge of Dutch is preferred;
- Ability to work independently, with strong attention to detail;
- Cross-cultural skills and expatriate experience or an affinity with expatriate life.
Job title: Head Archivist, Expatriate Archive Centre, The Hague
Working hours: part-time, min. 18 hrs per week
Application deadline: 20 June 2021
Starting date: 5 July 2021
Applications including CV and motivation letter (both in English) to be submitted to email@example.com. Applications with no motivation letter will not be considered.
For more information, contact Kristine Racina (Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org.