Job: Assistant professor Archival Studies, University of Amsterdam
The Department of Media Studies, Faculty of Humanities, is searching for a qualified assistant professor for the Archival Studies, Information Studies and Digital Humanities Team.
The Faculty of Humanities offers assistant professors the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that – partly as a result of their multidisciplinary approach – are world-renowned. Moreover, you will be teaching in a dynamic context in which new educational methods are being developed.
Together with other new assistant professors you will participate in a comprehensive introductory programme. You will be supervised closely during the first year of your appointment. Additional didactical training is also part of the appointment. Based on the candidate’s educational portfolio, previously acquired com- petences will be taken into consideration.
Candidates will be expected to conduct research, develop and teach courses, and supervise students within the framework of the programs of the MA Archival Studies and Information Studies as well as components of the BA in Media and Information (M&I). The ideal candidate will be expected to contribute to shaping these programs intellectually within the context of the emerging Media and Information program of study, which also includes new media and digital culture.
- Relevant PhD degree, or PhD defense date scheduled before start of contract;
- a strong knowledge of contemporary archival theory and social contexts of archival use and of contemporary records management and digital archiving issues;
- an affinity with information studies, digital humanities and/or new media and digital culture;
- experience in research and excellent research skills, evidenced by publications in renowned international professional journals / book form;
- several years of teaching experience at the university level;
- demonstrable outstanding didactic abilities and / or training, a strong commitment to teaching; evidence by an educational portfolio;
- hands-on skills in analytical software / tool use;
- experience with the use of ICT in academic education;
- willingness to develop in an interdisciplinary capacity;
- capable of functioning at all levels of more than one study programme;
- organisational experience and skills; willingness and ability to take on administrative roles;
- enthusiasm and a reliable team worker;
- thorough knowledge of Dutch and English; non-native Dutch speakers must achieve fluency in Dutch within two years.
You can apply for this job until April 30, 2016.