Job: Tutors International Studies, Leiden University
The Faculty of Humanities offers several tutor jobs (10 fte) within the bachelor degree programme International Studies that is situated in The Hague. The tutors will support lecture series in the domains of history, culture, socio-linguistics, politics and economics, both on a global scale, and for specific areas. Each tutor, under the supervision of a senior lecturer, will work with groups consisting of 12-15 students, carrying out detailed teaching plans, with specified aims and objectives previously designed for the tutorials under the supervision of the tutor coordinator and in cooperation with their colleagues.
Tutorials have a didactic as well as a social objective. Didactically, tutorials are meant to offerstudents the opportunity to discuss the subject matter of the lectures and do the assignments (researching, writing and presenting) previously agreed. The aim of tutorials is to enhance academic skills, such as research skills (including literature and primary source research), written and oral presentation and debating skills.
The tutors also play an important role in grading assignments and exams.
- The candidate will participate in the BA International Studies programme, where he / she will support lecture series in the domains of history, culture, socio-linguistics, politics and economics, both on a global scale, and for specific areas.
- Additionally, the candidate is expected to mark and assess student assignments and exams, and provide additional didactic guidance to students
- MA in the domains of history, cultural studies, socio-linguistics, political science or economics;
- We are seeking candidates with a specialization in any of the nine areas taught in the programme. We particularly invite applications from specialists in Africa, South- and Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and North America.
- Preferable experience in teaching;
- Native or near-native speaker of English;
- Leiden University requires staff to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO). In case the successful applicant does not possess this qualification or its equivalent, the faculty will offer support in obtaining it.
You can apply for this job until May 7, 2016.