Job – Two Lecturers in Conflict Studies and a Lecturer in Public History – University of Amsterdam
The Department of History, European Studies and Religious Studies of the Faculty of Humanities is seeking enthusiastic teachers who master a relevant specialization, while at the same time being able to teach in different (multi-disciplinary) fields of history. Ranging from courses for first year groups ‘Inleiding in de geschiedenis’ to mastercourses on Conflict studies, our teachers are both creative builders and trustworthy tutors for young historians. The BA programme is in Dutch, so a good command of the Dutch language is a must. Furthermore our teachers are qualified with a BKO or are willing to obtain this qualification.
You will be expected to keep up with your subject and to incorporate new developments into your teaching. There is no requirement of academic research with these posts, but ambitions in that area are highly appreciated, and will be encouraged where possible.
- The development, coordination and provision of teaching, in the BA programmes (and where appropriate in the MA), in specific areas of History;
- supervising BA and MA theses;
- keeping up with the literature in your discipline, and integrating new developments into your teaching;
- an active contribution to the development and improvement of the broader teaching programmes, regarding didactics and the contents of the programmes, and their evaluation;
- supervising and coaching students as a tutor;
- taking part in committees and working groups, and carrying out administrative tasks as directed.
We are seeking candidates for the following posts:
- Two Lecturers in Conflict Studies, with responsibilities in the Bachelor and Master programme (including Military History, and History of International Relations) (0,6 fte; 22,8 hours per week).
- Lecturer in Public History with responsibilities in the Bachelor and Master programme (including Publieksgeschiedenis) (0,6 fte; 22,8 hours per week)
Credentials required for all three positions:
- a PhD in a relevant discipline;
- experience of different forms and levels of delivering university teaching;
- the Dutch Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO), or willingness to acquire this within a relatively short time-frame;
- experience of digital and audiovisual teaching facilities; affinity with ICT in university teaching;
- a good team worker and versatile at all levels, capable of multidisciplinary co-operation;
- good organizational experience and skills;
- good command of Dutch but also be able to teach in English.
Conditions of employment
The appointments will be temporary for two years and will not lead to extension or a permanent position afterwards. The appointments will commence on 1 August 2016 or as soon as possible after that date, but no later than 1 September 2016.
You can apply for this job until 08-06-2016