Lecturer American Studies / Docent Amerikanistiek
The History capacity group, within the Department History, European Studies and Religious Studies, part of the Faculty of Humanities, offers a History bachelor and master degree program. The bachelor program includes a special track in American Studies; the master program offers various specializations, including one in American Studies.
The focus of the American Studies program is on American politics, both domestic and international, and on the cultural presence of the United States abroad, mostly in Europe. In combining these topics, we want to create more insight in the historic role the United States has played in creating our contemporary world.
The complete educational program of the History capacity group can be found here.
The research programs of the History capacity group can be found at the Amsterdam School of Historical Studies.
The History capacity group is looking for a new colleague to teach in the History bachelor and master programs, specifically in American Studies. You can also be asked to teach courses in the History of International Relations program and the Military History program. We are looking for an applicant with expertise in the history and culture of the United States, with an interdisciplinary bent, and an interest in the international context.
Together with other lecturers you will participate in a comprehensive introductory programme for staff members. You will be supervised closely during the first year of your appointment. Additional didactical training is also part of the appointment. Based on your educational portfolio, previously acquired competences will be taken into consideration.
- Develop, coordinate, and teach courses within the bachelor track American Studies, and the History bachelor program, in cooperation with the staff of the history capacity group;
- supervise bachelor and master theses;
- keep track of relevant scholarship and integrate new insights into teaching;
- play an active role in the development and implementation of improvements and innovations in course pedagogy and content.
- PhD completed in relevant field of expertise;
- experience with teaching in bachelor and master programs at an academic level, specifically in American Studies;
- demonstrable didactic qualities (for instance, by having a Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs, or a willingness to get such a qualification);
- experience with digital and audio-visual equipment; affinity with ICT in academic education;
- team spirit and a willingness to participate in activities of the History capacity group;
- willingness to cooperate in multidisciplinary projects;
- administrative experience;
- good command of the English language, and experience in teaching in English at an academic level. We expect at least a passive command of the Dutch language as well, and in case you do not master the Dutch language as yet, we expect you to learn it.
For more information, please contact:
- prof. Ruud Janssens
T: +31 (0)20 525 5083
The appointment will be on a temporary basis, for a period of two years and starts between 1 August and 1 September 2018 for 19 hours per week (0,5 fte). The administrative level of this job is ‘docent 3’ in the UFO-profile (salary scale 11). The Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities is applicable.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
Your application should include a full academic CV and letter of motivation. Please submit your complete application no later than 24 May 2018 using the link below. Only complete applications will be taken into consideration.
The job interviews and possibly trial lectures will take place between 6 and 29 June 2018.