Utrecht University is searching for a professorship of Modern Political History per 1 September 2017. The chair forms part of the section of Political History of the Department of History and Art History. Research and teaching of the section focus on European political history from the early modern era up to the present day. The chair of Modern Political History will make a significant contribution to the study of the political and of the transformation of political relations, ideas and institutions in modern Europe.
The chair of Modern Political History :
- initiates and stimulates research within the section Political History, the research group International and Political History, and the strategic research theme Institutions for Open Societies;
- contributes to and supervises teaching and curriculum development relevant to Political History within the School of History and Art History;.
- contributes to the visibility of the field of study within the Faculty of Humanities and the Dutch academic world, and initiates and participates in activities aimed to disseminate academic knowledge to the wider public;
- is responsible for leading the Political History section and is eligible for other organizational tasks within the department of History and Art History, the Faculty of Humanities and Utrecht University.
The successful candidate:
- has a wide-ranging expertise and qualities in the area of modern political history in Europe;
- has excellent research qualifications, evident from leading publications and experience in coaching young researchers;
- has a successful track record in attracting substantial research subsidies from external funding agencies, or the ambitions and capacity to do so;
- has a proven ability to function in an interdisciplinary and international context;
- is a motivated teacher, with demonstrable excellent didactic skills and experience in course and curriculum development relevant to the teaching program of the section Political History;
- has contacts within and beyond the academic world, and experience in developing and disseminating research results in cooperation with social partners;
- has experience as a leader with strong, connective communication and organizational skills, and proven ability to work as a team player;
- is able and willing to teach in Dutch and in English. We expect foreign candidates to master the Dutch language within two years.
Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply for this position.
Conditions of employment
We offer a 1.0 FTE tenured position in an inspiring and lively academic environment. The monthly salary lies between a minimum of €5,219 and a maximum of €7,599 gross for a full time contract (scale H2, cao Dutch Universities). Utrecht University offers an attractive benefit package, including an 8% holiday and an 8.3% annual year-end bonus. Additionally we offer a good pension scheme, partly paid parental leave and flexible employment conditions. For more information visit: Working at Utrecht University
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively on major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 7,000 students and 900 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and teaching in these fields, the Faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. Enthusiastic and committed faculty members and excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the Faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.
Are you interested? Download the structure report of the Chair Modern Political History.
For further information please contact Prof Dr Josine Blok, firstname.lastname@example.org.