Postdoctoral researcher (30,8 hours per week) ‘Global Questions, Local Sources: Connecting Global History Perspectives’
As of 1 September 2022, Leiden University’s Institute for History will be appointing a postdoctoral researcher whose research proposal and teaching suggestions combine different perspectives and methodologies in global history. The appointment will be made for three years. The ideal candidate will conduct research on global perspectives and methodologies in an innovative and original way, connecting (at least) two of the six research programmes of the Institute for History in a way that is complementary to ongoing research within the Institute and/or provides a convincing interdisciplinary dimension to ongoing research in our Institute, for example by reaching out to area studies, anthropology, literature, art history or philosophy.
For more information on the Institute’s research, please visit our website at: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/institute-for-history/research
- Conducting research on a focused theme bringing together various perspectives and methodologies in global history (all periods and subfields are eligible) in an innovative and original manner;
- Writing a single-authored monograph or at least three peer-reviewed articles in leading international journals;
- Presenting draft articles or book chapters at conferences and workshops;
- Organizing an international conference, and workshops within the Institute;
- Developing a substantial (NWO or ERC) research proposal during the third year of the appointment;
- Being a team player by actively sharing results and ideas with two or more research programmes of the Institute;
- Providing a (limited) contribution to BA and MA teaching in programmes of the Institute for History.
- A recent (after 1 January 2015) PhD in History or a relevant adjacent field;
- Fluency in English. Good passive command of Dutch is an advantage;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of an (international) team;
- Ability to work in an international and highly competitive environment.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Terms and conditions
We offer a 0,8 fte (four days a week) position for initially one year. After a positive evaluation of both project and personal abilities, the appointment will be extended by a further two years. Salary ranges from € 2836 to € 5211 gross per month for a fulltime appointment (pay scale 10/11, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3%), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. For more information, see https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at .
About our faculty and Institute
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields such as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics, international studies and area studies, covering nearly every region of the world. With its staff of 1,000, the faculty provides 26 masters and 24 bachelors programmes for over 7,000 students based at locations in Leiden’s historic city centre and in modern buildings in The Hague. For more information, see https://www.hum.leidenuniv.nl.