PhD Candidate: Each One Teach One
- You hold a Research Master or comparable degree in Media Studies, Dutch Studies, Musicology, Performance Studies, History, Anthropology, Cultural Studies, or a comparable discipline; academic and/or practice-based experience in urban arts and Hip-hop is a recommendation;
- You have an affinity with archival research, oral history, postcolonial theory and media theory;
- You have excellent oral and writing skills in Dutch and English, as demonstrated in an excellent thesis and/or other publications; experience in other languages, particularly Sranan Tongo, Spanish, Papiamento, Malay, is a recommendation;
- You are able to work independently and flexibly, and take initiative where needed;
- You are able to communicate and collaborate effectively in a team setting; experience and affinity with working with grass roots organisations and practitioners is a recommendation;
- You are interested in and committed to teaching and supervising Bachelor’s students.
- You work at least 75% of your time from the Netherlands.
- Completing a PhD thesis in four years (in case of a 1.0fte appointment) or in five years (in case of a 0.8fte appointment);
- Publishing 2 peer review academic articles related to your thesis topic and one long-read (popular article) on the topic;
- Contributing to a lesson plan for teaching ‘Dutch Hip Hop and the popular representation of diversity and belonging’ in Dutch high schools;
- Supervising BA theses and teaching in LUCAS-related BA programs;
- Actively participating in the activities of the research consortium Re/Presenting Europe: Popular Representations of Diversity and Belonging;
- Actively participating in the activities of LUCAS and a national research school (eg. NICA, OSL, Huizinga).
Conditions of Employment
- PhD project, 4 years (1.0fte, 38 hrs per week), starting date 1 February 2023. Initially the employee will receive a 14-months contract, with extension for the following 34 months on condition of a positive evaluation. A part-time (0.8fte) appointment is also possible; the full duration of the appointment will in that case be 5 years.
- Salary range from € 2,541- to € 3,247,- gross per month for a fulltime appointment (pay scale P, in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities).
- Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions.
Diversity & Inclusion
Fostering an inclusive community is a central element of the values and vision of Leiden University. Leiden University is committed to becoming an inclusive community which enables all students and staff to feel valued and respected and to develop their full potential. Diversity in experiences and perspectives enriches our teaching and strengthens our research. High quality teaching and research is inclusive.
The Faculty of Humanities is a unique international centre for the advanced study of languages, cultures, arts, and societies worldwide, in their historical contexts from prehistory to the present. Our faculty is home to more than 6,000 students and 800 staff members. See https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities for more information.
The Leiden University Centre for the Arts in Society (LUCAS) is one of the seven Research Institutes of the Faculty of Humanities. LUCAS is dedicated to ground-breaking research that explores the multifaceted relationships between the arts and society. See https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/centre-for-the-arts-in-society for more information.
For more information about this position and the NWA project Re-Presenting Europe, please contact Bram Ieven, University Lecturer in Modern Dutch Culture at email@example.com. Questions about the procedure can be directed at Mariska de Groot (firstname.lastname@example.org). Information about LUCAS can be found at http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/geesteswetenschappen/centre-for-the-arts-in-society and about Leiden University at http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en.