PhD student for a project on education in India after 1947
The project seeks to study how missionaries (and their local successors) changed their ideas about education and how they translated them into practice. It will also pay attention to the changing contexts in which missionaries were working by examining their position within the (multi-)religious and political environment, as well as the local perception of missionaries and their (educational) activities. These questions will be answered via the case study of Jesuit education in Ranchi, the second largest Jesuit province in India.
- You have a Master degree in History, Anthropology, Pedagogical Sciences, Area Studies, or a related discipline, and you are open to interdisciplinary research approaches (including, next to the above mentioned disciplines, Religious Studies and Development Studies);
- You obtained very good results (at least cum laude / with distinction);
- You have very good proficiency in English, developed excellent oral presentation and written communication skills including the ability to write scholarly prose fluently (knowledge of Dutch, French and South Asian languages is a plus);
- You are good at working independently, take initiative, and are able to contribute creatively to a research project;
- You commit to complete the research project in time and to valorize intermediary research results at conferences and in publications;
- You have good social skills and will be able to collaborate within a team working on missionaries in a postcolonial context;
- You are able to commit to live in the UK, the US, and in India for about five research stays of 2 weeks to 2 months and to execute well-defined assignments.
- A full-time employment for a limited period as a PhD student (from 1 February 2018 for 2 years, with the possibility of extension to four years after positive evaluation);
- Exciting research in a dynamic, stimulating and internationally oriented research environment.
- More information via http://www.kuleuven.be/vacatures
- You can apply fort his vacancy until 20 December 2017 via the online application tool
- We will make a preselection of candidates on the basis of the written application files. Interviews will take place on Wednesday 10 January 2018
- For more information, please contact Prof. Dr. Idesbald Goddeeris, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: +32.16.324974 or Prof. dr. Martin Kohlrausch, tel.: +32 16 32 49 76, mail: email@example.com.