Post-doc (0.8-1.0 fte) Maastricht, Working on Europe: Knowledge, Technology and Digitalisation (Theme 4)
The successful candidate is a talented early career researcher with proven interest in European affairs. He/she will be a member of the core research team Maastricht, Working on Europe, of Maastricht University and will hold office at Studio Europa. The core team will work closely with senior researchers in the different faculties of Maastricht University. The postdoc is expected to spend 60% of time to academic research and 40% to outreach activities along the following lines:
- carry out and publish high-quality research in the area of Knowledge, Technology and Digitalisation, applied to European issues, within the multidisciplinary setting of the UM research theme Maastricht, Working on Europe which is a UM wide priority;
- write a relevant individual grant proposal (within NWO, ERC, etc);
- intensively engage in outreach activities and broad dissemination of their own research;
- contribute to the promotion of Maastricht, Working on Europe activities, led by Studio Europa.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- hold a recent (< 5 years) doctorate in humanities, social sciences, life sciences or another relevant field. Candidates who have recently submitted their thesis can apply as well;
- have interest in and (proven) experience with a multidisciplinary approach to the areas of Knowledge, Technology and Digitalisation;
- have an excellent track record in research, preferably with a focus on European affairs, demonstrated among others by publications in international peer-reviewed journals or books edited by internationally recognized publishers;
- have knowledge of and experience with different types of social-scientific research methods;
- have excellent communication and coordination skills;
- have (proven) creativity in realizing societal impact and/or familiarity with citizen science;
- have the potential to generate research funds from national and international funding agencies;
- have excellent command of spoken and written English.
Conditions of employment
Maastricht University offers a challenging job in an attractive international work environment for two years (January 2019 – December 2020). The salary depends on qualifications and experience of the candidate and ranges from €3637 (scale 11) to €5656 (scale 12) gross per month (based on the salary scales VSNU coming into force per 1 February 2019). In addition, there is an 8% holiday allowance and an 8,3% end-of-year allowance. A favorable tax regime may apply for foreign applicants. In addition, Maastricht University offers excellent secondary conditions, including (partly paid) parental leave. The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local UM provision also apply. For more information check the website www.maastrichtuniversity.nl > support > UM employees.
Based in Europe, focused on the world. Maastricht University is a stimulating environment. Where research and teaching are complementary. Where innovation is our focus. Where talent can flourish. A truly student oriented research university. Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach, and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 16,300 students and 4,300 employees. Reflecting the university’s strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Sciences and Engineering, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience. For more information, we refer to www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/.
Maastricht, Working on Europe is a joint initiative of the Province of Limburg, the City of Maastricht and Maastricht University that aims at three core ambitions:
- develop Maastricht as a European centre of excellence, renowned at home and abroad, with a leading European research agenda and prestigious study programmes. The go-to source for politicians, policymakers and the press when it comes to interpreting and advising on Europe;
- create Studio Europa as the physical workshop, an open place and platform where academics, students, residents and social entrepreneurs (incubator function facilitating start-ups) work and debate on Europe and engage with culture and the media;
- enhance the European profile of the city, region and university, bolstered by a full agenda of activities revolving around Europe and involving citizens, society, business, academia and media.
Please visit https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/um-and-europe for general information on the Maastricht, Working on Europe research Calls and the elaborate Maastricht, Working on Europe Research Agenda. Inquiries on the content of the application can – under strict confidentiality – be directed to Prof. Dr. Clemens Kool firstname.lastname@example.org and inquiries on the procedure and working conditions can be directed to Dr. Gonny Willems email@example.com.