Postdoc position in Art History and/or Museology – Utrecht University
In the context of the research project The Dutch Global Age we seek a postdoc to examine the contemporary relevance of Dutch Old Masters in a globalising world.
What will you do?
As postdoctoral researcher, you will complement our team, which currently consists of 3 PhD candidates and the PI. The team explores interactions between the arts of the Netherlands and the world beyond Europe in an attempt to establish how Netherlandish art has contributed to a global worldview. Whereas the PhD projects all take historical approaches (such as iconography and technical art history), you will focus on the recent past and contemporary period. The central research question is how and why paintings from the seventeenth-century Netherlands have been collected and displayed in museums in Asia, Africa, and Latin America in the period 1975-2022. You will also contribute to an exhibition that connects the project’s historical questions to topical societal debates.
We are looking for a colleague who:
- completed a PhD degree in art history, museology, heritage studies, or a related field;
- is eager to publish international articles and connect scholarly research to societal debates;
- has the skills and enthusiasm to work together in a research team;
- has good social and communication skills;
- has an excellent command of English, in speaking and (academic) writing;
- has (reading) knowledge of Dutch or one of the other languages relevant to the research project.
The department is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We welcome employees who contribute to the diversity of our faculty through their unique backgrounds and perspective.
Conditions of employment
- a position for one year, with the possibility to extend to a total of three years;
- a working week of 32 hours and a gross monthly salary of €4,332 in the case of full-time employment (salary scale 11 under the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities (CAO NU);
- 8% holiday pay and 8.3% year-end bonus;
- a pension scheme, partially paid parental leave and flexible terms of employment based on the CAO NU.
In addition to the terms of employment laid down in the CAO NU, Utrecht University has a number of schemes and facilities of its own for employees. This includes schemes facilitating professional development, leave schemes and schemes for sports and cultural activities, as well as discounts on software and other IT products. We also offer access to additional employee benefits through our Terms of Employment Options Model. In this way, we encourage our employees to continue to invest in their growth. For more information, please visit Working at Utrecht University.
Een betere toekomst voor iedereen. Die ambitie motiveert onze wetenschappers bij hun toponderzoek en het geven van inspirerend onderwijs. Bij de Universiteit Utrecht werken diverse disciplines intensief samen aan maatschappelijk belangrijke thema’s. Onze focus ligt op Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences en Pathways to Sustainability. Sharing science, shaping tomorrow.
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major strategic themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Pathways to Sustainability. Shaping science, sharing tomorrow.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 7,000 students and 1,100 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the Faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city centre of Utrecht, where the faculty is located, contribute to an inspiring working environment.