Radboud University – Assistant Professor of History of Philosophy
Your research must fit in with the profile of the Center for the History of Philosophy and Science. Ideally, you have a broad international network and conduct research at the intersection of the history of philosophy and the history of science. You must possess a publication record appropriate for your career stage and must have developed concrete plans for a grant proposal (e.g. NWO or ERC). Furthermore, as our future colleague, you should be cooperative and open-minded and should not shy back from administrative tasks.
- A completed PhD in Philosophy or in the History of Science.
- Teaching experience in the field of the history of philosophy at BA and MA levels.
- Excellent command of English (C1 level); proficiency in Dutch (C2 level) or willingness to achieve this level within two to four years.
- A strong publication record, appropriate to career stage.
- Concrete plans for a future grant proposal (ERC or NWO).
- You are preferably in possession of the University Teaching Qualification (BKO) or are willing to obtain such a qualification within two years.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: We offer a tenure-track position of 2 to 4 years, which, after positive evaluation, will be made permanent.
- Employment: 0.8 FTE.
- A maximum gross monthly salary of € 5,826 based on a 38-hour working week (salary scale 12).
- The exact salary depends on the candidate’s qualifications and amount of relevant professional experience. The minimum salary for a full-time appointment is €3,746 (salary scale 11).
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: we offer a tenure-track position of 2 to 4 years, which, after positive evaluation, will be made permanent.
- The intended start date is 1 September 2021.
- The faculty has interesting staff and promotion policies and provides active career monitoring. Where possible, we take into account talent and ambitions, development and personal circumstances. If you would like to know more, please contact personnel advisor Ms W. (Willy) Groenen: email@example.com.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions. They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
The Department of the History of Philosophy brings together historians of philosophy and historians of science in a single teaching and research unit. As far as teaching is concerned, the department provides courses in the history of philosophy from Antiquity to the current age for the Faculty’s Bachelor’s, Master’s and Research Master’s programmes. As far as research is concerned, the department – under the name of Center for the History of Philosophy and Science – investigates the evolution of natural philosophy from Antiquity to the 21st century. It pays particular attention to the period between 1250 and 1700, and to the consequences of the fragmentation of the Aristotelian worldview into the manifold of modern scientific disciplines. This fragmentation of natural philosophy into different sciences, which no longer share common ontological and epistemological premises, raises important questions for contemporary philosophers, which are also addressed at CHPS.
Research and teaching topics include the notions of place/space, time, matter, motion, chance and necessity, but also soul, mind and cognition. Within the global academic landscape, CHPS is unique in approaching the history of philosophy and the history of science as historically intertwined phenomena. For this reason, it has attracted staff, PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers from many countries, and functions as an international hub for scholars interested in the combination of the history of philosophy and the history of science. In addition to addressing academic peers, CHPS also reaches out to a wider audience to contribute to a better understanding of the historical trajectory that has led to today’s science and technology-driven society. The Center is a very cohesive research group. Its members lunch together on a regular basis, they share their research in Work-in-Progress meetings, they co-teach, co-publish and co-organize conferences.
The Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies is a compact, ambitious organisation with approximately 160 staff and nearly 900 students from the Netherlands and abroad. Our educational programme includes several top-notch degree programmes in both in-depth disciplinary fields of study and interdisciplinary and interfaculty studies. The faculty has innovative education and research programmes with a strong focus on current social issues.
Carla Rita Palmerino, Chair of the Department of the History of Philosophy
Tel.: +31 6 38 35 67 45