Special Collections Curator (1.0 FTE)
You are responsible for the special UB collections. In that capacity, you play a pivotal role in achieving the heritage agenda: better accessibility and more intensive use of the special collections within the university’s education and research; digitization is key in this respect. Additionally, you contribute to policy proposals on the digital and physical presentation of the UB special collections.
The position is accommodated within the Special Collections Department.
In this job, you are responsible for:
- the ownership of special collections projects
- the promotion of the differentiated and innovative use of physical and digital-born collections by researchers, students, and the general public
- the increase of digital accessibility of the collections (visibility, accessibility, and indexation)
- the composition and extension, curation and preservation of physical and digital-born collections among which the launching, evaluation and monitoring of (digital) conservation and restauration proposals
- publications about manuscripts, printed texts, book history, and developments in the area of special collections in professional journals, and
- cooperation with faculties and partner institutes at a local, national, and international level.
- an academic degree, preferably a PhD degree
- the ability to play a pivotal role in the promotion of the special collections, both within and outside the University
- excellent communication and consultancy skills
- knowledge of the digitization and physical publication of special collections
- experience with conservation and preservation of special collections
- good fluency in English and Dutch, both oral and written (or the willingness to improve Dutch)
- affinity with topics such as book science, cartography, heritage studies, digital humanities and archive and library science
- a broad network in (national and international) academia and in cultural circles
- preferably scholarly knowledge and skills in areas relevant for special collections
- preferably knowledge of bibliographical indexing methods and systems for special collections
- preferably comprehension of Latin.
Required competences: enterpreneurship, flexibility, result orientation, commitment to the client, and environment orientation.
Conditions of employment
You may apply for this position until 28 February 23:59h / before 1 March 2018 Dutch local time by means of the application form (click on “Apply” below on the advertisement on the university website). Please submit your CV, contact details of two referees and cover letter with the motivation of your application.
Unsolicited marketing is not appreciated.
For information you can contact:
Dr Rienk Withaar, Head of Special Collections (for further enquiries on this vacancy), +31 6 38253299, email@example.com
(please do not use for applications)