The PThU is looking for a: Professor of Church History (0.8 -1.0 FTE)
The Protestant Theological University (PThU) is a theological university that focuses on understanding and renewing the Christian tradition with a view to the church, academy and society.
The PThU is committed to a thorough study of the history of church and theology, which on the one hand is in full dialogue with developments in the broader historical sciences, but on the other hand is also fully relevant for the transmission of the Christian tradition to a new generation. Church history is thus practiced not only as a form of religious studies, but also as historical theology which, together with the other theological subdisciplines, is an integral part of theology. The PThU strongly values the study of church history from the sources and in their original languages and is looking for specialists in different periods in church history. The study of Dutch church history is also part of church history research and education at PThU.
Theology is understood as a scientific discipline aimed at understanding and renewing the Christian tradition as reflected in sources, beliefs and practices. PThU is working on the methodical renewal of the theological discipline with the aim of strengthening its internal coherence and its external expressiveness. Newly appointed staff members are asked to contribute actively to this movement. In line with this movement, research and education at PThU are increasingly done from a multidisciplinary perspective.
The chair of Church History is part of the chairgroup New Testament/Historical Theology. There is a total of 2 FTEs available in the field of church history. In this application procedure two vacancies are published, one for a Professor and one for a University Lecturer (1.0 FTE). Both vacancies will be filled in conjunction with each other, taking into account the various specialisms and the stage of the candidates’ academic career.
What are you going to do?
You will be working on:
- developing, preparing and providing education (programs) at Ba, Ma and PAO level in the field of church history
- conducting scientific research, leading existing and developing research projects within the university’s research foci
- developing education and research in interdisciplinary contexts
- positioning and valorizing research in an (inter)national network
- raising external funds and/or grants for research
- attracting and supervising PhD students
- fulfilling leadership, managerial and administrative responsibilities
- contribute to church and community services
- promotion and ongoing specialization in the field of church history and/or the history of Christianity
- a broad profile in the field of church and/or theological history, preferably covering several periods in the history of Christianity
- excellent research qualities, as evidenced by international follow-up publications and demonstrable personal contribution in national and international networks
- a broad and integrative vision on the history of church and theology in which you connect the two and study them contextually and source-oriented, doing so in collaboration with other theological disciplines and from an interdisciplinary collaboration with other research areas of research in humanities
- ability to collaborate and make connections between one’s own research and the research of other researchers
- didactic qualities and a BKO; broad experience in and positive evaluations of academic education
- good coaching skills as evidenced by successful supervision of PhD students
- excellence in communication in the context of plurality and diversity at all levels (students, colleagues, collaborative partners)
- knowledge of and affinity with the Dutch theological, ecclesiastical and cultural contexts
- professed membership of and preferably 5 years of pastoral experience in a Protestant church, preferably in the Protestant Church in the Netherlands
- excellent oral and written command of the English language
- willingness to master the Dutch language within five years and to use it in research, education and management
- inspiring, innovative vision of the field
- binding leadership
- communication skills
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Fixed-term contract: Temporary employment contract for the duration of 18 months. Upon proven suitability, this contract will be converted to a permanent contract.
The Protestant Theological University offers good terms of employment with attention to flexibility and (personal) development. The UFO profile of Professor level 2 applies. The employee will receive a temporary employment contract for the duration of 18 months. Upon proven suitability, this contract will be converted to a permanent contract.
The salary, depending on relevant experience at the start of employment will be € 5,864 to € 8,539 gross per month based on full working time (scale H2 collective labor agreement Dutch universities/Protestant Theological University). The holiday allowance is 8% and the year-end bonus is 8.3%. There is a generous contribution to the ABP pension scheme and ample training opportunities. There is good allowance for commuting expenses and the option of tax exchange of employment conditions.
The Protestant Theological University (PThU)
The Protestant Theological University (PThU) is a theological university that focuses on understanding and renewing the Christian tradition with a view to the church, academy and society. We offer (post)academic education for theological professionals, social and church organizations and other interested parties. We train pastors for the Protestant Church in the Netherlands and conduct research into developments in faith, church and world Christianity.
For more information about our organization, visit www.pthu.nl. The PThU has laid down its mission, vision and policy intentions in an Institutional Plan for the period 2021-2026, which can be found via https://www.pthu.nl/over-pthu/organisation/missie-en-visie/. Some internal policy documents relating to the university’s research foci are available to candidates upon request.
For questions about the position of Professor of Church History, you can contact Prof. Dr. M. Wisse, Rector of the Protestant Theological University, via email@example.com during office hours. Alternatively, via Radha Ramsingh, secretary of the Executive Board telephone (+31) 6 158 675 06.