The PThU is looking for (one or two): Lecturer(s)/assistant professor(s) in Church History (0.4 to 1.0 FTE)
The Protestant Theological University (PThU) is a theological university that focuses on understanding and renewing the Christian tradition with a view to the church, academy and society.
The PThU is committed to a thorough study of the history of church and theology, which on the one hand is in full dialogue with developments in the broader historical sciences, but on the other hand is also fully relevant for the transmission of the Christian tradition to a new generation. Church history is thus practiced not only as a form of religious studies, but also as historical theology, which, together with the other theological sub-disciplines, is an integral part of theology. The PThU attaches great importance to the study of church history from the sources and in their original languages and is looking for specialists in different periods in church history. The study of Dutch church history is also part of church history research at PThU.
Theology is understood at PThU as a scholarly discipline aimed at understanding and renewing the Christian tradition as reflected in sources, beliefs and practices. PThU is working on the methodical renewal of the theological discipline with the aim of strengthening its internal coherence and its external expressiveness. Newly appointed staff members are asked to active contributie actively to this movement. In line with this movement, research and education are increasingly done from a multidisciplinary perspective.
The professor and lecturers of Church History are part of the chair group New Testament/Historical Theology. There is a total of 2 FTEs available in the field of church history. Two vacancies are published in this application procedure, one for a Professor and one for a University Lecturer (1.0 FTE). Both vacancies will be filled in conjunction with each other, taking into account the various specialisms and the stage of the candidates’ academic career.
What will you do?
You work on:
- preparing and teaching at Ba, Ma and PAO level in the field of church history
- conducting and developing scientific research projects within the research foci of the university
- positioning and valorizing research in an (inter)national network
- raising external funds and/or grants for research
- contribute to church and social services
- PhD in the field of Church History or history of Christianity
- preferably at least one year of experience in a teaching or research position
- research qualities as evidenced by (international) publications
- integrative view of the history of church and theology in which you connect both and study contextually and source-wise
- ability to network (nationally and internationally)
- ability to collaborate in teaching and research
- excellent oral and written command of the Dutch and English language
- didactic qualities and a BKO or the willingness to obtain it
- knowledge of and affinity with the Dutch theological, ecclesiastical and cultural context
- professed membership of and preferably pastoral experience in a Protestant church, preferably in the Protestant Church in the Netherlands
- enthusiasm in communication with and activities for a non-academic audience
- willingness to master the Dutch language within five years and to use it in research and education
- inspiring, innovative vision of the field
- connecting leadership
- communication skills
Dienstverband voor bepaalde tijd: 12 months (internal candidates) or 18 months (external candidates). In case of proven suitability, this contract will be converted into a permanent contract.
The Protestant Theological University offers good employment conditions with attention to flexibility and (personal) development. The UFO profile of Lecturer/assistant professor level 2 applies. You will be given a temporary employment contract for the duration of 12 months (internal candidates) or 18 months (external candidates). In case of proven suitability, this contract will be converted into a permanent contract.
The salary is, depending on relevant experience at the start of employment will be based on € 3,821 to € 5,230 gross per month based on full-time working hours (scale 11 collective labor agreement for Dutch universities/Protestant Theological University). The holiday allowance is 8% and the year-end bonus is 8.3%. There is a generous contribution to the ABP pension scheme and there are ample training opportunities. There is good allowance for commuting expenses and the option of tax exchange of employment conditions.
The Protestant Theological University (PThU)
The Protestant Theological University (PThU) is a theological university that focuses on understanding and renewing the Christian tradition with a view to the church, academy and society. We offer (post)academic education for theological professionals, social and church organizations and other interested parties. We train pastors for the Protestant Church in the Netherlands and conduct research into developments in faith, church and world Christianity.
For more information about our organization, visit www.pthu.nl. PThU has laid down its mission, vision and policy intentions in an Institutional Plan for the period 2021-2026, which can be found via https://www.pthu.nl/over-pthu/organisation/missie-en-visie/. Some internal policy documents relating to the university’s research foci are available to candidates on request.
For questions about the position of Assistant Professor of Church History, you can contact Prof. Dr. M. Wisse, Rector of the Protestant Theological University, via email@example.com. during office hours. Alternatively, via Radha Ramsingh, secretary of the Executive Board telephone (+31) 6 158 675 06.