University Lecturer in American Studies / International Studies / International Relations
The successful applicant will be expected to:
- Teach in the History programmes, the MA North America Studies, the MA International Relations, and the BA International Studies, especially on issues related to America in the world, including debates in the US on international politics.
- Supervise BA and MA theses, and if applicable co-supervising PhD theses;
- Research and publish through appropriate academic channels;
- Contribute to curriculum development and programme management;
- Acquire project funding at the national, European and international levels;
- Participate in the research programme History and International Studies of the Institute for History;
- Play an active role within the community of America / IR scholars across the Faculty of Humanities;
- Communicate research results beyond academia;
- You hold a PhD degree in History, American Studies, International Relations, or another relevant discipline;
- You have demonstrable knowledge of the field of America in Global Affairs, as specified above;
- You have a commensurate record of peer reviewed academic publications in relevant fields;
- You have a strong academic teaching record at the university level;
- You have affinity with and capacity for teamwork and collegiality in an intercultural work environment;
- You have academic administrative / management experience;
- You have an excellent command of English. If you do not speak Dutch, you are expected to learn Dutch within a period of two years (Dutch language learning is funded by the Institute for History);
- You have well-developed plans for ongoing and future teaching and research.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Leiden University’s Institute for History embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized backgrounds to apply.Terms and conditions
The appointment (fte 1.0) is in temporary employment for 18 months (August 1, 2023 to January 31, 2025), with the prospect of a permanent position after positive evaluation. The salary is in accordance with the collective salary agreement of the Association of Dutch Universities (CAO) and depending on qualifications and experience. The gross monthly salary is € 3557 (scale 10-4) to € 6181 (scale 12) for a full working week.
Depending on qualifications, as specified by the Faculty of Humanities, particularly regarding teaching skills certification and the number of years of relevant work experience, the appointee may either start at the appropriate step in scale 10, 11 or 12.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. For international spouses we have set up a dual career programme. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/working-at/job-application-procedure-and-employment-conditions.
About our faculty, institute and programmes
Since its founding in 1575, Leiden University has acquired an international reputation for excellent teaching and research. With its staff of over 800, the Faculty of Humanities provides 26 Bachelors and 27 Masters programmes for over 7,200 students based at locations in Leiden’s historic city centre and in The Hague.
For more information on the Institute for History (https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities/institute-for-history.), on North American Studies North American Studies (MA) – Leiden University (universiteitleiden.nl), on the MA International Relations (https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/education/study-programmes/master/international-relations/european-union-studies), and on the BA International Studies (International Studies (BA) – Leiden University (universiteitleiden.nl).