Utrecht University Assistant Professor (1 FTE)
The position involves 30% research time, which will be pursued within the Economic and Social History group in the Department of History and Art History. The research profile of the candidate should comprise demonstrable experience with topics and approaches in business history. S/he will engage with, and fortify, the group of business historians active in our ESH group. Preferably, the successful candidate has affinity with, and experience with, interdisciplinary research methods.
- a PhD degree in History, or in a related Social Science discipline (Economics, Political Science, Sociology etc.), with a specialization in business history, preferably with a focus on the 20th century;
- a University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO, or equivalent);
- experience with teaching undergraduate students at all levels;
- a commitment to, and experience with, thesis supervision at least at the BA level;
- a record (appropriate to career stage) of publications that demonstrates the ability to conduct research which is internationally excellent in significance, originality and rigour.
The successful candidate will have:
- a broad academic interest in questions with respect to economic history and institutions (democracy, rule of law, public organizations, markets, firms, etc.), with a clear focus on the origin, dynamics and societal outcomes of these institutions.
- a realistic medium-term research plan, addressing substantial historical problems and aiming for publications in leading journals, with the potential for attracting external research funding;
- readiness to engage with contemporary debates, both in teaching and in terms of outreach of academic research beyond the university sector.
Conditions of employment
We offer a temporary position of 1 FTE for the duration of one year. In case of good performance, the contract will be changed to a permanent position. The minimum gross salary is € 3,746 and the maximum gross salary is € 5,127 (scale 11 of the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities) per month, at a full-time employment.
Besides that, you will receive a holiday allowance of 8 % and a year-end bonus of 8.3 %. Utrecht University also has an appealing package of terms of employment, including the choice for a good balance between work and private (a good arrangement for leave, among other things), possibilities for development and an excellent pension scheme. More information on working at Utrecht University can be found here.
A better future for everyone. This ambition motivates our scientists in executing their leading research and inspiring teaching. At Utrecht University, the various disciplines collaborate intensively towards major societal themes. Our focus is on Dynamics of Youth, Institutions for Open Societies, Life Sciences and Sustainability.
The Faculty of Humanities has around 6,000 students and 900 staff members. It comprises four knowledge domains: Philosophy and Religious Studies, History and Art History, Media and Culture Studies, and Languages, Literature and Communication. With its research and education in these fields, the Faculty aims to contribute to a better understanding of the Netherlands and Europe in a rapidly changing social and cultural context. The enthusiastic and committed colleagues and the excellent amenities in the historical city center of Utrecht, where the Faculty is housed, contribute to an inspiring working environment.
The Economic and Social History group is one of the most internationally renowned groups studying economic and social history from a long-term and internationally comparative perspective. A further profile description of the group is available here. The interdisciplinary programme of Politics, Philosophy and Economics is selective, admitting 75 students per year and provides an intensive, small-scale and interdisciplinary training in the study of political and economic institutions, from the point of view of four disciplines: philosophy, history, politics and economics. More information on the PPE programme can be found here.