UvA – Lecturer American Studies
The Department of History, European Studies and Religious Studies is looking for a lecturer in American Studies to strengthen the staff of the History capacity group.
The History capacity group, subdivided into various chair groups, provides the bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in History and a number of minor programs. The master’s program has various tracks, including American Studies, Urban History, Public History and History of International Relations, a two-year educational master and a Research master. The full curriculum of the Bachelor’s program can be found via bachelor Geschiedenis. For the master’s programs see master Geschiedenis, master track American Studies,
What are you going to do
You contribute to the further development of education in the broad field of History and American Studies and develop new initiatives. You provide inspiring lectures and tutorials. Your teaching duties also include supervising theses, tutoring students and contributing to the renewal and improvement of the curriculum.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- developing, coordinating, and teaching courses within the BA in History, the Minor American Studies and the MA track American Studies, in cooperation with the History and American Studies staff;
- supervising bachelor and master theses; tutoring students
- keeping track of relevant scholarship and integrate new insights into teaching;
- playing an active role in the development and implementation of improvements and innovations in course pedagogy and content;
- carrying out administrative and management tasks;
- taking part in committees and working groups.
What do we require of you
You are communicative, a team player, familiar with the demands of academic teaching and sensitive towards the diverse backgrounds and talents of students.
Your experience and profile:
- PhD in American Studies or a relevant field;
- experience with teaching in bachelor and master programmes at an academic level, specifically in History and American Studies;
- experience with digital and audio-visual equipment;
- affinity with ICT in academic education;
- team spirit and a willingness to participate in activities of the History capacity group and the Department;
- willing and able to cooperate in multidisciplinary projects;
- administrative experience and skills;
- excellent command of both Dutch and English.
- University Teaching Qualification, or willing to acquire this within two years.
Experience with research, as evidenced by publications in leading scientific journals and collections, is considered an advantage.
Conditions of employment
We offer a temporary contract for a fixed period of two years with a trial period of two months. Preferred starting date is 1 September 2021.
The gross monthly salary, based on 38 hours per week and relevant experience, ranges from €2,790 up to a maximum of €5,127. This is exclusive 8% holiday allowance and 8,3% end-of-year bonus. A favourable tax agreement, the ‘30% ruling’, may apply to non-Dutch applicants. The Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities is applicable.
What else do we offer
- excellent possibilities for further professional development and education;
- an enthusiastic, inspiring and professional academic team;
- the opportunity to collaborate with leading researchers at research institutes that – partly as a result of their interdisciplinary approach – are world renowned.
University of Amsterdam
With over 5,000 employees, 30,000 students and a budget of more than 600 million euros, the University of Amsterdam (UvA) is an intellectual hub within the Netherlands. Teaching and research at the UvA are conducted within seven faculties: Humanities, Social and Behavioural Sciences, Economics and Business, Law, Science, Medicine and Dentistry. Housed on four city campuses in or near the heart of Amsterdam, where disciplines come together and interact, the faculties have close links with thousands of researchers and hundreds of institutions at home and abroad.
The UvA’s students and employees are independent thinkers, competent rebels who dare to question dogmas and aren’t satisfied with easy answers and standard solutions. To work at the UvA is to work in an independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterised by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society.
To work at the University of Amsterdam is to work in a discerning, independent, creative, innovative and international climate characterized by an open atmosphere and a genuine engagement with the city of Amsterdam and society. Here you can read more about working at the University of Amsterdam.
Faculty of Humanities
The Faculty of Humanities provides education and conducts research with a strong international profile in a large number of disciplines in de field of language and culture. Located in the heart of Amsterdam, the faculty maintains close ties with many cultural institutes in the capital city. Research and teaching staff focus on interdisciplinary collaboration and are active in several teaching programmes.