Vacature: Research professor (tenure track) in the area of urban studies, University of Antwerp
As part of its dynamic research policy and supported by the possibilities offered by the Flemish Government through the resources of the Special Research Fund (BOF), the Faculty of Arts is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the Department of History for a research professor (tenure track) in the area of urban studies.
The assignment consists of lecturing duties, scientific research and academic service to society. During a period limited to 10 years, scientific research will be the main activity.
You will expand the scientific research in the area of the recent history of the city and contemporary urban issues (post WOII) in an historical and international comparative perspective;
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international);
- You will supervise doctoral students;
- You will be actively involved in the further development and expansion of the Urban Studies Institute, an interdisciplinary platform for the development of interdisciplinary research, the provision of services and interdisciplinary education in the field of urban studies;
- In this context, you also assume administrative, supportive and coordinating tasks;
- You develop and teach at least one (elective) course about your own specialization and you supervise master’s theses in this field.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctoral degree (PhD) in history or a degree in the broader field of social sciences and the humanities on the basis of a doctoral dissertation with an historical perspective;
- You have demonstrable expertise in interdisciplinary approaches (both methodologically and conceptually) within the broader field of urban studies;
- You approach present-day urban issues from an international comparative perspective;
- You have an international academic CV and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research in the broader field of the domain involved;
- You have a postdoctoral trajectory of minimally 2 years at the closure of the vacancy;
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university;
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy;
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them);
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative;
- You can meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
- A full-time position as a senior lecturer or higher, generally entailing a permanent appointment. In the case of a first appointment to the corps of academic personnel (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a permanent appointment if your performance is assessed favourably.
- In the event of comparable qualifications, it is the principle that priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science. This priority is not given automatically nor unconditionally, as the evaluation of the applications will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate.
- The date of appointment will be 1 January 2015;
- A gross monthly salary ranging from € 3 853,96 – € 5 680,89
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 13 July 2014. The application form must be completed, including a detailed research proposal (mandatory) for the next five years (approx. 5000 words) and a report of your previous scientific research activities (max. 5000 words). In addition, you add two abstracts of the scientific content of the research plan – a scientific abstract and an abstract in layman’s terms – each with a maximum of 500 words (or max. 4000 characters). All documents must be submitted in English;
A preselection will be made amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection committee;
More information about the application form can be obtained from Robin Wynants (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 41) or Ellen Huijer (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 45);
For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Bert De Munck, tel.: ++32 (0)3 265 42 68; Email: email@example.com;
Further information regarding the special research status can be obtained from Dr. Eric Spruyt, Head of the Research Department (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 30 12);
Further information regarding the terms of the appointment can be obtained from the HR coordinator for academic personnel, Greet Dielis (Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 53).