Vacature: Tutor at International Studies (Deadline 16 May)
Faculty of Humanities, International Studies is looking for a
Tutor (3 positions. 0.8-1.0 fte)
Vacancy number 17-180
– The candidate will participate in the BA International Studies programme, where he / she will support lecture series in the domains of history, culture, socio-linguistics, politics and economics, both from a global perspective, and for specific world areas;
– Additionally, the candidate is expected to mark and assess student assignments and exams, and provide didactic guidance to students.
The tutors will support lecture series in the domains of history, culture, socio-linguistics, politics and economics, both from a global perspective, and for specific world areas. Each tutor will work with groups of 12-15 students, carrying out detailed teaching plans, with specified aims and objectives previously designed for the tutorials, under the supervision of a coordinator and in close cooperation with the lecturer and their tutor colleagues. The tutors also play an important role in grading assignments and exams. In a large-scale programme like International Studies, tutorials are indispensable to ensure individual attention and to make small-scale education possible. The tutorials are meant to offer students the opportunity to engage with the subject matter of the lectures, as well as to acquire and enhance academic skills, such as research skills, written and oral presentation and debating skills.
– At least an MA in the domains of history, cultural studies, socio-linguistics, political science or economics;
– Preferably teaching experience;
– Native or near-native speaker of English;
– Leiden University requires staff to obtain the Basic Teaching Qualification (BKO). In case the successful applicant does not possess this qualification or its equivalent, the faculty will offer support in obtaining it.
The Faculty of Humanities is rich in expertise in fields as philosophy, religious studies, history, art history, literature, linguistics and regional studies covering nearly every region of the world. Our faculty is home to more than 5400 students and 800 staff members. For more information, see http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/humanities and about Leiden University at http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en. Information on the BA International Studies can be found at http://www.hum.leiden.edu/internationalstudies/.
Terms and conditions
The position is for the period of one year, starting 15 August 2017, with the possibility of an extension up to two years on condition of good performance. The position corresponds to the position of Docent/lecturer. The tutor will be based at the Leiden University Campus in The Hague. Salary range, depending on education and work experience, from € 2.552,- to € 4.028,- (pay scale 10 in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities) gross per month, based on a full-time appointment.
Leiden University offers an attractive benefits package with additional holiday (8%) and end-of-year bonuses (8.3 %), training and career development and sabbatical leave. Our individual choices model gives you some freedom to assemble your own set of terms and conditions. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may be eligible for a substantial tax break. More at http://www.workingat.leiden.edu/.
Leiden University requires teaching staff to obtain the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ). If the successful applicant does not already possess this qualification or its equivalent, he/she must be willing to obtain this Qualification within two years.
Leiden University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from members of underrepresented groups.
Further information regarding the position can be obtained from Mrs. dr. A.P. Jordão, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be received no later than 16 May 2017, with the interviews with shortlisted candidates scheduled for 6, 7 or 8 June.
Applications should be in English, and be submitted email@example.com. Please ensure that you include in ONE single PDF document named ‘FAMILY NAME – Given name – vacancy number” and in this order:
– A cv including education, and if applicable employment history, publications, and courses taught (including course evaluations);
– A copy of MA Exam results;
– A letter of motivation, which shows clear affinity with and specific knowledge of the area of International Studies (max. 1 page);
– Names, positions and email addresses of two referees (no reference letters).
Acquisition following this advertisement is not appreciated.