Four PhD Positions at the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH)
As a PhD candidate you will write a PhD thesis, participate in the Graduate School for the Humanities, which includes taking courses for approximately six months, and provide six months of academic service to the Faculty of Arts at Radboud University. Your thesis topic and research question should align with the research of RICH, where this position is embedded. Descriptions of our research groups can be found here. We are looking for four PhD candidates.
- You have a Master’s degree in one of the disciplines related to RICH or expect to complete the degree before 1 February 2023 at the latest (in which case your Master’s thesis needs to have been graded before September 2022).
- You are result oriented, have a good command of English, and excellent writing skills.
- If you have demonstrable research experience, this will be considered an advantage.
- Please note that, at this stage, we do not yet ask you for a declaration of approval from your intended main doctoral thesis supervisor at RICH. However, it might be useful for you to check out the available expertise at RICH and see with whom you would want to work. You can find our researchers on the RICH website.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Fixed-term contract: You will be employed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- It concerns an employment for 0.8 – 1.0 FTE.
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,541 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,247 from the fourth year onwards (salary scale P).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- You will be employed for an initial period of 18 months. Your performance will be evaluated at 14 months. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
The Faculty of Arts is committed to knowledge production with a significant scientific and social impact. With over 500 academic and support staff, we teach and conduct research in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, and linguistics and communication, using innovative methodologies and working in close collaboration between the disciplines. Our research is embedded in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Radboud Institute for Culture & History (RICH). We currently have approximately 2,500 students, enrolled in three departments: the Department of History, Art History and Classics, the Department of Modern Languages and Cultures, and the Department of Language and Communication. We aim to contribute to a more sustainable and inclusive world, which is why we especially seek applications from candidates who bring diverse perspectives, backgrounds and skills that will be assets to our study programmes and research profiles.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
For questions about the position, please contact the Coordinator of the Graduate School for the Humanities at +31 24 36 15 559 or email@example.com.