University College Tilburg – Teaching Assistants (2x)
University College Tilburg is looking for two teaching assistants (1.5 FTE; 1 year).
University College Tilburg offers a three-year interdisciplinary and international bachelor program in Liberal Arts and Sciences. Our University College selects students on the basis of their intellectual curiosity, eagerness to learn and interest in small-scale and interactive education. The teaching assistant supports lecturers of first year courses to safeguard the small-scale character of the curriculum.
The main tasks of the teaching assistant are the following:
- You (re)design modules that train basic academic research skills (e.g., a module on information literacy skills, referencing, methodology and academic integrity), and implement the modules in the common core courses.
- You contribute to the newly designed bachelor thesis course, e.g., by giving workshops on methodology and academic writing.
- You teach small-scale and interactive seminars in the field of humanities, law, cognitive neuroscience, social sciences and/or economics. The seminars elaborate on topics discussed in the lectures of first year common core courses.
- You assist lecturers in correcting course assessments, and in formulating feedback to students.
- You participate in the core staff meetings, and take on core staff related tasks (e.g., participation in admission interviews and/or committees).
Job requirements and qualifications
- You have (or will soon receive) a master’s degree.
- You have expertise in at least one of the above-mentioned academic fields (humanities, law, cognitive neuroscience, social sciences and economy) and a demonstrated interest in interdisciplinarity.
- You have a positive motivation for interactive teaching and display an inspirational attitude towards students.
- You have a good command of English.
Conditions of employment
Fixed-term contract: 1 year.
Terms of employment
The successful candidate receives a position of one year. The position will be ranked in the Dutch university job ranking system (UFO) as teacher 4. Depending on the candidates’ experience, the salary for this position on a full-time basis ranges between € 2.790 and € 4.402 gross per month based on scale 10 of the Collective Labor Agreement (CAO) Dutch Universities.
Tilburg University is rated among the top of Dutch employers and has excellent terms of employment, such as a holiday allowance of 8% and an end-of-year bonus of 8.3% (annually), an options model and reimbursement of moving expenses. Candidates from outside the Netherlands may qualify for a tax-free allowance equal to 30% of their taxable salary. The university will apply for such an allowance on their behalf. The Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences will provide assistance in finding suitable accommodation. The collective labor agreement of the Dutch Universities applies.
Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences
Research and education at the Tilburg School of Humanities and Digital Sciences (TSHD) has a unique focus on humans in the context of the globalizing digital society, on the development of artificial intelligence and interactive technologies, on their impact on communication, culture and society, and on moral and existential challenges that arise. The School of Humanities and Digital Sciences consists of four departments: Communication and Cognition, Cognitive Science and Artificial Intelligence, Culture Studies and Philosophy; several research institutes and a faculty office. Also the University College Tilburg is part of the School. Each year around 275 students commence a Bachelor or (Pre) Master Program. The School has approximately 2000 students and 250 employees.